Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Nobody cares what you had for lunch

That subject line is the title of a book I read recently on blogging.

And she's probably right, not many people would care what I had for lunch (orzo salad from Costco on a bed of spring lettuce - and it was delicious, and I have had it 3 days in a row.....So, maybe someone WOULD care what I had for lunch! But those are the people who have no life, and do I want a bunch of readers like that? ....Sure, if they also leave comments.)

I've read quite a few books on blogging lately. Blogging for Dummies was somewhat helpful. But it's kind of technical - and that's what I have sons for - so it didn't feed the creativity I need to keep my blog in the top million (and I'm being generous to myself with that figure...)

Right now I'm in the middle of The Huffington Post Complete Guide to Blogging, and it's pretty inspiring (if not terribly liberal.)

I've got several blogging books, that I'm sure would catapult me into Blogging Stardom, on my interlibrary loan list. But at the rate at which my library obtains these for me (several have been on the list for more than 6 months) blogging will have gone the way of the pony express.

Blogging for Bliss is one I'm waiting for. But when I go to amazon.com and see what "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought" (mostly craft and art books) I get the sinking feeling that book won't be my Ticket to Comment Heaven either. I'm in the post-craft season of my life. Done that/Made that/Used that glue. And I can get some testimonies from ungrateful, department-store- loving relatives to prove it. I once heard an unnamed sister-in-law whisper (but not quite quiet enough....) "The worst thing about home-made gifts is there's no place to return them." But she was wrong, shortly after that comment I saw a perfectly-fine raffia nativity scene at Goodwill that looked remarkably like one of the 20 my daughter and I had stayed up until midnight making the week before Christmas. I'm sure it was a (cruel) coincidence.

Then there's The IT Girl's Guide to Blogging with Moxie, but I'm not sure I am an IT Girl. I'm a homemaker with 11 kids, 5 grandchildren, and a desire to make my life seem funny so I can survive it. Do I sound like the kind of woman who would hang out with a girl named Moxie? Don't think so.

According to the Huffington book, I need to find a purpose for my blog. If you look at my tags, it will be obvious that I have no specific purpose. Am I a decorating blog? That's a niche that seems overcrowded at the moment - and I'd need my husband to up my (non-existent) house furnishing budget if I want to compete with the likes of The Nester (who I love, and who has 937 comments today, ....so far....including mine because I really, really want that memo board for my kitchen.) Go over there today and win something. (Stay here and win nothing. It's your choice.)

I do have some decent decorating posts (see my sidebar). And I have really cute grandchildren. I'm sure blogs about how cute people's grandchildren are get really high ratings.

At one time I thought I might offer motherly wisdom on my blog. I even tried a few question and answer posts. But why would someone come to read what a veteran, experienced mom of 32 years could offer when they can get (untried, rookie, peer, fledgling) advice from younger moms?

So, I'll keep reading my how-to-blog books (and stealing ideas from other blogs.)In the mean time, if you think of something I should write on to make my blog relevant, popular, addictive, and comment-laden - Feel free to send me your ideas. I aim to please (mostly myself...but occasionally the two intersect.)

In the meantime, here's a picture of my adorable grandson in his new, front-facing carseat (purchased for him by {one of this two} favorite GrandMama.)


14 comments:

Moriah @ Please Pass the Salt said...

Well. Your life IS saner since you don't have children that will pour cheerios all over your living room floor. :) Not offensive at all. (Per your comment.)

Lemme know when you figure out the comments! I know mine tend to be low when I'm not commenting elsewhere, so it somewhat ebbs and flows based on how much time I have for blogging overall. (But that's not the case for every blog, obviously.)

Dayna said...

Debbie, you definitely have your niche. I'm not sure how to categorize it, but don't change a thing, Sister!

Lori said...

I'm kind of glad that you have few comments. That way when you are approached about doing a Silhouette SD giveaway on your blog, I will have a better chance of winning. Although you probably need the traffic in order to be approached, and you probably also need more crafty posts... hmmm...

Cheaper by the Baker's Dozen said...

Lori, don't you happen to do silhouettes? (and I bet you can spell it,too - which I'm not sure I can!)
Are you making me a subtle offer? But then why would you want to win your own offer? How about if you just make me one (or 11) and we'll call it even :)

I honestly didn't realize I was making this post about comments, I was bemoaning my lack of purpose and my non-niche. Comments are always nice because it continues the conversation, but site meter is wonderful for giving assurance that you're not writing to yourself.

Mama Hutch said...

Commenting on other blogs helps - see? ;) Thanks for your encouragement. Much needed and appreciated. Of all your posts, I love the ones where you just talk about your life - even your lunch. Looking forward to reading more!

Cheaper by the Baker's Dozen said...

Mama Hutch, you're right on. However, If it wasn't for good ol' sitemeter I wouldn't have known to go to your wonderful blog and leave a comment (however, that wasn't my motive. I was just really, really curious(aka nosy).
Thanks for your encouragement. Hey, what did you have for lunch? :)

brite said...

MamaHutch, I didn't comment on your blog yesterday because I just want to call. But if a comment would be more satisfying, I'm there! :)

I liked your magazine and book reviews, but it's true: your life is entertaining enough. Stick with lunch.

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Pittman,

Your blog and your daughter's blog (because she reminds me of you) are the only two I read. Most people's lives don't fit into one specific niche, and since your blog is about your life it shouldn't fit in one, either. Niche-ness is fine for people who like to live in a corner. By blogging all over creation, however, you manage to interest all sorts of people. I hope there aren't any commenters who have themed blogs!

Cheaper by the Baker's Dozen said...

Sweet, Leah - Why did I have to waste all my time reading those blog books when I could have just asked you? I'm serious, and I think you're totally right (and not just because other commenters have said the same thing :)
I guess you have lots of time to spend getting smart since the only 3 blogs you read are ones that seldom update (although Brite is better than Jacqueline and me, and Jacqueline has a pending baby delivery for an excuse. I'm bereft of (valid) excuses.

jax said...

Oh great, now I'm going to have to write a blog post. Up until now, I've been able to justify my lack of updates with, "At least I post more often than Mom!" And then you go updating your blog twice in a week.

Cheaper by the Baker's Dozen said...

Glad to help you out, Jacqueline.
I'd love to see some of your miraculous updated house pictures.
And you have two cameras to use, so double No Excuses. (BTW- Tell my camera I miss him/her.)

Sarah said...

Mrs. Pittman,

I don't think you should change a thing about your blog EXCEPT to retrieve Mr. Nikon from North Carolina. Let me know if I can help. I love how it feels like I still know the Pittmans and all the things that are going on, and the house decorating improvements, and the visits from the grandchildren, etc. even though I only see you about every 3 years (or not even that often). Your blog is your way of talking about your life. You're giving us an accurate, very-funny-make-me-laugh-out-loud version of your life. Therein lies the purpose of your blog. You haven't lost this reader.

Lori said...

Debbie, yes I am doing silhouettes and if my website were finished I would post a shameless link here.

But I was actually talking about QuickKutz's SilhouetteSD machine. It's a paper/vinyl cutting machine like the Cricut only you can hook it up to your computer and cut out any shape you design. QuickKutz seems to be doing a big marketing push because craft blog after craft blog have been holding giveaways of Silhouette machines the company has provided for them.

But now you have me thinking... after the website is up and looks halfway respectable, I think I _will_ ask you about doing a giveaway (and I won't be subtle).

Debbie, Ontario, Canada said...

Funny Girl, Advise...keep being funny the commenters will come. I did.