I saw a list like this on another blog so I figured I'd steal it. But I'm a benevolent thief, with a conscience, so I won't actually steal her 6 Things...Just her title, and her idea.
Although I really liked her title, I have to confess I've been a tad apathetic this week (thus the dearth of blog posts) so it would've been a ton easier for me to think of 6 Uninteresting Things that make me UN-Happy. In fact, without much effort I was up to about 18 UNHappy, Uninteresting Things before I realized a post like that would only send me spiraling down the mood pole.
And by reading it, I might just have dragged you down it with me.
So, I'll try to stick with 6 Uninteresting Things That Make Me Happy (but if you find them interesting, it's not my problem.)
(1) Hearing my 3 yo grandson's voice on his mom's cell phone voice message. "This is Mommy's phone. Leave a message." Honestly, it makes me giggle every time I hear it. (And it makes me mad when I'm anticipating hearing him, and she actually answers the phone! Whoops.....I'm spiraling down again.....)
(2) Propped up in bed at night with a cup of hot tea, the fan swirling above me, and a good book on my lap. (Current good book is Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters...Great writing, no-brain reading, slightly funny, perfect for filling that void between tired and drowsy.)
(3) An empty laundry room. A short-lived, albeit elated, feeling of accomplishment.
(4) The UPS man stopping in front of my house. Or the UPS woman. I'm not picky. (If I was writing about things that make me UN-Happy, which of course I'm absolutely NOT, I could add the UPS guy/gal stopping, walking up to the door, and handing me a book-sized box which turns out to contain........some kind of replacement part for something my husband is trying to fix. I am Not in My Happy Place after that ....although I do appreciate my Fix-It-Himself husband. It's the UPS person I have issues with.)
(5) Sitting out by my pool, mesmerized by the clean, sparkly blue water, closing my eyes and feeling the sun on my (heavily lotioned) face - especially when there are no kids yelling "watch me, Mom, watch me!" (I do enjoy watching them....just not when I'm trying to be mesmerized.)
(6) Coming home from a successful trip to Goodwill, where I got two cute plates, a great wallet, and 2 pairs of nice summer shoes (hope that doesn't gross anyone out...But you'd have been tempted to buy some stranger's shoes, too, if you had seen these sandals!).
(6a) If I was telling you about things that make me UN-Happy (which I totally an not), I might say something hypothetical like this:
Coming home from a trip to Goodwill where I spent over an hour looking at the titles of Every Book In The Store because the sign said "Books, Videos, DVDs 50% off", only to narrow it down to 8 books that rang up full-price at the register because someone forgot to take the sign down from yesterday.
Maybe I'll use reverse psychology on myself tomorrow, and will attempt a list of 6 Uninteresting things that Really Tick Me Off. Perhaps only happy, little grateful thoughts will ebb out of my keyboard, (and I'll realize I am indeed as gullible as the Goodwill guy thinks I am.)