Sunday, May 25, 2008

Sunday blog post

I'm going to be a good ol' Presbyterian girl and wait to post about my favorite convention moments tomorrow (although even the most legalistic Pharisee stopped their Sabbath adherence at sundown ...)

My goal is to blog sooner rather than later tomorrow, because while I was gone I was very convicted about my need to go to bed earlier. Which is different than just getting more sleep (as in going to bed after midnight and getting up at 8 or 9.)

My husband has encouraged me for years to just stop whatever I'm doing around 9pm and begin winding down enough to be sleep-ready at 10. As it is now, I putz around the house doing this-and-that, starting laundry for the next day (and then if I'm still up when the buzzer goes off I switch the laundry to the dryer and start another load..and then if I'm still up when the buzzer goes off I start another load...and then....Get the picture?), checking email, checking on the kids and watching in amazement as they peacefully sleep. They're barely moving.
That's my favorite time with them. They don't talk back. They aren't asking for anything. It gives me a warm, content feeling. Too bad they don't even know I'm there.

Every year I attend a convention my children are happy/sad to see me come home.
Happy to see the box(es) of new books - which, in typical homeschooled kid fashion, they get very excited about - but sad because they also know that Mom has probably learned something at the convention that will mean "change" for them.

This year "stability" was the theme that seemed to run through all the workshops I attended. Consistent, stable, and purposeful. I'll tell you more, in addition to my list of Convention Favorites.

Tomorrow.

5 comments:

Kahlua Keeping Koala said...

Go to bed. I'm headed there too, instead of going to forums la-la land.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so bad about staying up late. It's just so nice and quiet when everyone is asleep. :) Good luck with your quest for an earlier bedtime.

lea said...

ooh, i can't wait to hear more about stability... wait, does that mean that we have to continue to post every day in june, to keep things stable? ugh....

lea said...

i mean i would LOVE it if you would keep posting EVERYday, it is just that i don't want to have to keep this crazy daily posting things happening on my end...

Davene said...

I know what you mean about watching kids sleep. It's the best. :)