Friday, May 30, 2008

Modifiers Are Fun!

That was the title of Winston's writing assignment today. I despise the way some writers try to generate excitement in lackluster subjects by using exclamation marks.

I attempt to teach my students to let their word choice set the tone for the reader!!!!!

He had to pick two people's names and use adjectives to paint a "word portrait" to describe the person (also known as an alliteration.) I knew he would pick himself.

I just know the boy.

He likes to take the easy way out of assignments. When I saw that he had done a good job on his own name, I commended him, then added "But you can't use 'MOM' for your second person", thinking I would thwart his indolence and cause him to exercise his brain a little. He didn't pick "MOM", but he did pick "Debbie".

So, with only one day left to blog and very little energy and attention span left after driving seven 13-14 year olds to camp tonight - I submit the following:


W - Wonderful
I - Intelligent
N - Nifty
S - Stunning
T - Tough
O - Origami freak
N - Not Neat

The boy is nothing if not confident, with a small dose of honesty thrown in for authenticity.

D - Dazzling
E - Easily persuaded
B - Brilliant writer
B - Beneficial
I - Intelligent
E - Exciting blogger

Well, he pretty much has me figured out, doesn't he? :)

Until tomorrow, the very last day in May (unless you're Lea, who blogged yesterday as her last day in May -

Dazzling Debbie (it certainly has a nice ring to it :)

7 comments:

Mrs. Pittman said...

I'd thought I'd just add, for those of you who keep track of trivialities, that I finished posting tonight at 10:36. Approximately 1 1/2 hours before midnight. It feels good.
Good night!

Anonymous said...

What a clever kid! :) I am reading this at 11:30pm, when I should be cleaning my room...because, like Winston, I'm not neat. ;)

Kahlua Keeping Koala said...

A typo.

Laura said...

Congratulations on the two new grandbabies and on a month of daily postings. Not sure I could do it myself. And I did notice that you posted earlier than usual.

Davene said...

Well, well...I can see the boy is intelligent because he certainly knows how to get on his mom's good side. :) Though I'm sure everything he wrote is completely true...

Meg in Tally said...

After the trip to camp with the troops and extra troops, I'm amazed you have the brain power to post at all! Congrats!

I'm wondering about the 'easily persuaded' part...to what does this apply?

Mrs. Pittman said...

Meggy-
I am not sure where the "Easily Persuaded" came from, but since he hit the mark on all the others, I decided to let that one pass.

And just in case it does have a grain of truth to it, I'm going to be sure to answer NO to the next hundred or so requests he makes.